Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bipolar help please?

Im looking for any advice on understanding bipolar %26 maybe someone to talk to about the subject asap.

I have been in a relationship were my boyfriend is bipolar for over 3 years some times its easy to deal with and times like this it isn't im lookin for any adice to help him ex: med advice, every day living, understand mood swings ect
Answer:
Well I am Bipolar,and I was diagnosed back in 2000,and and when I look back I may have had it all the way back to my childhood but back than health professionals did not have a name for it as of yet.
But like your boyfriend I have mood swings that would scare the hell out of people from severe to docile and you never knew heck I never knew which person would come out of me or what would trigger me to go off and like I said when I look back on this I was this way as a child and I am talking back in the 1960's ok!
Have you gotten any literature on line or from a health professional understanding the different moods of Bipolar disorder that would help you a whole lot in understanding your boyfriend for one thing.
Has he sought professional help for this there are good medications that will help him control his moods and live a more serene daily life and help you as well because you need to take time yourself and learn about it as well because he could have from mild to severe to maniac bipolar,and I know this from my own experience I am not making this up because this is something you don't play with and can be dangerous if you do not know the warning signs as well because Bipolar people can turn on a dime without warning ok.
I'm doing fine and I live with it quite well now and I know the signs and can tell the warning signs coming on myself and I let friends and family know to leave me alone if I am getting truly irritated or aggravated by something or someone or a situation or the littlest thing can bring it on in a person such as us you would be surprised.
So please start off my going on line and getting literature that you can print out okay (WEB-MD) for example there is plenty of information. for you to read so that is no excuse ok,and if your man has not sought professional help for it in your own way because you know him better than I try to get him to seek help, ease into that conversation very easily ok don't go into that head strong that is not the best way t do that.
You can also contact the National Mental Health Institute (NMHI) in Washington,D.C.or state capitol or town or county and ask for information on it also.
I hope things go well I hope to hear how your doing with this and may God,keep you both and strong and supportive of each other that is very important.GOOD LUCK!!
I was married to someone Bi-Polar. Notice i said "was"?

There is treatment available, both medical and theraputical.

But if he is not willing to tackle this head on, get out now. Thier resistance or denial or the problem can only make things worse. THEY have to be willing to work at it every bit as much as you. Try to tackle this alone and your gonna get lost. Trust me.
i'm bipolar and i know at times it drives my husband of 32 years up the wall where he feels more like a nurse than my husband. i hope your boyfriend is seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis. that's very inportant. that way the doctor can see if ithere's a problem with you bf's meds and head off any relapses and deal with the meds before there's trouble. your bf needs to take his meds every day at the same time. just be supportive with him too. he didn't ask for othis illness and like most people with a mental illness it probably is scaring him. for more information go online to bi-polar there is some really good information there that can help you as well as your bf. i hope it helps you like it did me and my husband.
Excellent question.

I am the husband of a bi-polar woman, so I have some experience in this. The most important thing is to make sure your husband is seeking the help he needs and keeping the lines of communication with his doctors open. If he does not work with his doctor, then he is going to have serious problems that will effect your relationship. It also helps a lot to educate yourself as much as you can. Do a search of bi-polar disease on Google and you will find a number of really great websites to check out!

As far as living with him, it is certainly possible to live a perfectly normal life. Different people relate to bi-polar in different ways, so it is difficult for me to say what you should do with your boyfriend. I am blessed to have a wife that has done the reading herself and understands her condition. We work together. I try to notice when she is getting manic of depressed, and then I inquire to find out if she has a real problem, or if it is just bi-polar. If it is bi-polar, I never take anything she does or says personally. You have to separate yourself from the bi-polar... but at the same time, don't let your boyfriend take advantage of you, manipulate you, or abuse you. Bi-polar people might get upset or say something stupid once in awhile, but it is not an excuse for overall bad behavior. In any case, when my wife seems to be getting really upset for no reason, I suggest to her that she call her doctor about it, and she usually does. More times than not, she just needs a slight medicine adjustment.

Medication is funny. Treating bi-polar is NOT an exact science. One thing will work for someone, and not work for someone else. Sometimes something will work brilliantly, and then it suddenly won't work anymore. That is why it is so important to watch for signs of behavior change. If your boyfriend seems to be suddenly having problems, then getting in to see the doc can be a big help, because simply changing or adjusting the doses of medicine can often fix it.

Exercise is a big help, too. If you don't already, get yourself and your boyfriend out to do stuff often. Work out or play tennis or go jogging... whatever you like. Getting the heart rate up on a regular basis can make a really big difference.

I hope that helps. Don't worry about it too much. My life with my wife is pretty much normal. We have been married, and happily so, for seven years. If your boyfriend works with you and the doctors, he will be perfectly normal almost all the time. Once in awhile he will have a period of depression. Once in awhile he will get a little manic. Get him in to see the doctor, and he'll get over it soon enough. It takes a little patience, but love is hard work, even if your guy isn't bi-polar. If the guy is a great guy the rest of the time, it is worth it, but he has to be willing to work at it, too! Good luck!
he needs meds daily.
my 6 yr old son was diagnosed last year with early onset bipolar its very hard but i love him he is my world and i deal with it so if you love this man stick with him bp is an illness he cannot control it and its not his fault but also talk to his doc about Abilify it really really helped my son (its a mood stabilizer)
Check out these sites http://www.dbsalliance.org and http://www.nami.org
here is a suicide hotline1-800-273-TALK
Also tell him to tell the doctor he is having trouble with the lithium and not taking it. There are many other medications that are easier to take.
Best wishes
He NEEDS to take that lithium. He'll go Manic if he doesn't. And If you think depression is hard to deal with, try mania. Excessive need to shop. Some occasionally think that they are God! I'm Bipolar and have experienced this same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net