Saturday, October 31, 2009

Best friends are paranoid. Are they being protective or just scared?

I recently told my two good friends that I had been cutting myself, but was getting help (which is true.) I haven't cut myself in months, but they seem constantly worried about me and even check my wrists every time they see me! Both of them have been very supportive but I just want to say "you can back off now." How do I tell them nicely to back off, and not be so overbearing/paranoid that I'll do it again? I appreciate the support but don't want my friends to constantly worry.
Answer:
Sounds like you gave them good reason to be protective. ~
have a long talk with them about how you don't want to cut yourself anymore and how you already got some help and you just want your friendship to go back to how it used to be if you want that way
They are scared for you and they want to help. Maybe tell them how much you appreciate their support but their worry doesn't necessarily help. Perhaps talk to them about the help you're getting and explain that this is something you want to beat. You are very lucky to have such good friends.
Tell them the same way you just told us. "I appreciate your continued support and concearn, but im getting professional help now...i need YOU guys as respectful friends." The hard truth is, as young kids (im assuming) all they know is to baby you. And of course you dont want that. So show them how adult you can be, by being blunt yet tactful. Most important, continue seeking help, that also proves you are in charge of your own issues and dont need the extra eyes. Best of luck and i know you will end up just fine!
By showing them that you cut your wrists at one point in time, they may never know if you have truly stopped now. They know that you are capable of cutting your wrists and they may never be able to truly trust that you have stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net