Saturday, October 31, 2009

Been On Prozac. Really has stopped working. Would switching to Effexor be good?


Answer:
well ive never been on prozac. i had a scary reaction to effoxor when i took it and they switched me to lexapro. lexapro has the least side effects
Different meds work differently on everyone. And ur bod does develop a tolerance to meds. Talk to ur doc, maybe there is a stronger dose of the prozac u can take. Otherwise, there are many meds out there. Effexor is good for depression, not good ( or wasn't on me) for bipolar. Good luck!
There are MANY antidepressants from which to choose. Effexor is a good one. Don't let the nay sayers scare you off, as far as the "addictive" properties. Effexor isn't addictive. As long as you wean off Effexor slowly, you should experience few (if any) problems when you decide to discontinue it.

Another excelletn AD is Wellbutrin. Since you've already tried an SSRI, perhaps an atypical AD would be a good one to try next (e.g., Wellbutrin).

Good luck,
~M~
I agree with Michelle and we are both top contributors for mental health questions. Every person's body reacts differently to different antidepressants. I'm on Effexor and my soulmate is on Welbutrin XR. But the fact that Prozac has stopped working for you only means, with the exception of possibly increasing the dose, that Effexor might work for you. I also agree not to listen to the naysayers out there that knock one particular drug for another. I give an example of me using Percocet AND Oxyxodone for pain control. My body may become tolerant and I may go through withdrawals if my doctor took me off of it, but I'm now able to stand and do things pain free while others tell me to get off an addictive drug or take Oxyxontin saying it's better for me. Any medication decision is up to you and your doctor. Should you and he decide on Effexor, then I wish you the best of luck. May you get relief from depression just as I did through medication, therapy, and a positive attitude!
I can't answer that for you, but I'd like to add just two things:

There is a form of medicine called Orthomolecular Therapy, or Megavitamin Therapy which is a treatment that can be used independantly or with pharmaceutical drugs to relieve mental issues. I really suggest doing a search and learning about it. It's working with nutrition and good health, and while I did not follow it myself per se - I removed caffeine and sugar from my diet as well as switching to a vegan lifestyle and dramatically healed my long-standing depression, anxiety and sometimes paranoia. There's a short doco called "Masks of Madness" that you or anyone reading this may be interested in. You can get it on Amazon, I believe.

Secondly, my father was on Effexor for a while and had something resembling an epileptic fit when he came off it.

Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net