Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bad Habit Help?!?

Hi, I'm 15 years old and I am being treated for ADHD and an anxiety disorder. Even when I don't feel anxious, i need to be either biting my nails, picking at my skin, or twisting and pulling out hair from the back of head. I can't control these habits and quite often know when I'm doing them. Has anyone had habits like these and what did you do to control them? I also want to know if some of those habits are consistent with OCD. Thank you.
Answer:
I do it too even except only when I'm anxious even without thinking. I control it by attempting to control my anxiety. For the nails, you can use something that tastes bad on your nails or use nail polish. For the skin picking, if you're like me and pick in a couple specific areas, use bandaids to remind you not to do this. The hair? Hmm, maybe cut your hair short or put it up most days.
I bite my nails a lot but i would say that you need to find somthing else to fidgit with. like some type of art clay is amazing for that kinda stuff. hope this helped.
go and buy a rubics cube, puzzles, paint something that will keep your hands occupied.
These type of habits are your minds way of dealing with depression. Your mind can only take so much and it has to find a way to keep itself occupied, trying to keep itself healthy. You should talk to your doctor about these habits. Maybe, just maybe your melds. are not correct. You may not even have ADHD. ADHD meds. speed up a person who does not have ADHD, thus can cause anxiety and being fidgety, picking,pulling,bitting. Work this out with your doctor. Talk to him frankly about everything so that you can get the proper help. Good Luck to you and God Bless : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net