Saturday, October 31, 2009

Being in the car with a carsick person?

I have a huge phobia of throwing up, and it's extremly hard for me to even be around someone throwing up, or even seeing or hearing it on TV. I'm not trying to be selfish, but my cousin is taking a long car trip with us in about a week, and she gets carsick extremly often. I do feel sympathy for her, and she does things to help herself, like medication and such, but in the case that she does throw up, how can I keep it from bothering me so, and how can I keep myself from throwing up too, as I'm with her with the smell and sounds?

When I'm around somebody vomiting, I feel very sick and dizzy, and sometimes even have a panic attack. If there's anybody else who has had a lot of expearience with being with somebody who's carsick, please advise me on how to deal with it!
Answer:
i also cannot stand to see anyone puke or hear it even on TV i usually close my eyes and cover my ears. This comes from very bad morning (9 months day and night) sickness and then my daughter puked every time we fed her for almost a year. I think you should tell her about your puking fear and then be prepared by either having a pillow or something to cover your ears with and shut your eyes. Ask her if she can roll down the window as soon as she is up to it to get rid of the smell. also make sure you have enough plastic Ziploc type bags to enclose the vomit and put that in a plastic bag so you don't have to see it. Get air freshener something that will cut the smell but not nauseate your cousin, maybe pick it out together so you can agree.
If she starts to feel sick, stop at a gas station. If you're not near one, close your eyes and plug your ears with your hands.
You could also bring something like Oust...:]
Have her sit by the door and if she feels like she is going to lose it let you know. Pull the car over and let her out so she can lose it outside. Take some dramamine with you. It helps with the motion sickness.
Well, I've never throwen up but I do feel like I could if I was in a car.I think really what triggers the sickness is 1st the whole moving thing but really it's the sun and the encloser of the car. So basically make sure that the windows are down and let your cousin wear sunglasses. Also don't let her like read on the rode (it has something to do with the balance stuff in your ears, it gets messed up because of the movement of the car/ with gravity)

You on the other hand (that's why Ipods were invented lol)
Basically (I don't really like people throwing up either) try your best to think that you're some place eles (and a CD or Ipod in your ear to block out the sound helps also) your cousin will understand if you feel uncomfortable.
i've been on your side, and i've been the carsick person. the only advice i have is AIR, lots and lots of fresh air. and try not to think about it too much.i found with my carsickness that it was my thinking about throwing up and worrying about it so much that led to it happening, not anything to do with the motion of the car (maybe this could help your cousin too, especially if she still gets sick even with the meds).

i still hide my head in a pillow whenever a housemate is ill!
ahh i have a really bad phobia of puke as well-i take anxiety meds for it...your much braver than i am! theres no way i'd be in that car with her. but yeah something you could do-stop frequently, tell her to let you know if she feels a little ill or anything and you can pull over...or she could catch a train or someone else could drive?
good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net