Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bi-Polar or ADD?

About 6 months ago my 8 y/o was diagnosed with ADD %26 was put on meds. She immediately became extremely emotional, so her Dr. switched her meds around. Which didn't make anything better. I could definately see a difference in her attention spans, but she was still very moody %26 emotional. So, I took her to another Dr., this time a Pschologist. He told me that Bi-Polar is sometimes misdiagnosed as ADD, %26 would like to test her for BP. I picked up some books about it at the library %26 have done some research online. My question is.If a child is Bi-Polar, do they experience ALL of the symtopms or just some. She's definately not hearing voices or having haluasanation
Answer:
I think:
everything provides from child traumas
the way parents treat child's, because, every human been is different from another, and the individual shod be respected, in their moods, sometimes they are running from missed understood, from other people.
those Desi's names , are just good to justify something, we don't understand in human beaver.
there are exepcions, each case is a different case, every body needs love respect, care, and be well treated, and not been saw as a different anormal human been.
Im bipolar and don't have hallucinations or hear voices...you don't have to have all the symptoms...but it's always best for a doctor to make that decision...not a bad idea to bring it up.
well, some people say theyre the same, but i think that they are different. have you ever considered the fact that your daughter is a manic depressive? i thought that i was bipolar but i didnt hear voices or anything, at one moment i would just be happy and another moment really depressed for no reason. just ask her calmy and seriously how she feels and try to diagnose her yourself, you know her best after all.
find the book titled raising your spirited child. your child may just be very emotional don't rush into giving her drugs that could have life long effects on her
there are 2 types of bipolar and type 1 could be misinterpreted as ADD
There is a wide range of signs and symptoms with bi-polar disorder. Some people have a cluster of symptoms, others have only one or two.
One of the big problems with psych meds and children is that children have immature livers. This matters because drugs are metabolized with the aid of liver enzymes. Another major factor is that the brain isn't mature either. Both these factors can cause medications to have what are called paradoxical effects. It can be challenging to find the right meds for a child.
Keep doing your own research - psychology is interesting anyway.
You can get a lot of information from NAMI, the National Association for the Mentally Ill.
i dont hallucinate (that usually comes from manic spells where evrythn just goes haywire in your head)...she wont get all the symptoms no.

have a look here or type in bipolar disorder in google:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar...

try omega 3 supplements too (cod liver oil but u can buy omega 3 on its own) this helps so many issues like ADD and brainy stuff especially with children.
Not only can Bi Polar be misdiagnosed as ADHD it is somewhat common for people with ADHD to also be Bi Polar.

Both are treatable and if you want to look on the bright side, most people with ADHD and Bi Polar score very high on intelligence tests.

The voices and hallucinations are the least common symptoms. yes you can be Bi Polar with out the.
any diagnoses is definatley person to person some people may expierece somethings while others dont. i find it remarkable that they found this is youre 8 year old. Bi- polar is a very scary situation for the sufferer. im 19 and i can tell you that getting a proper diagnosis is hard and people rarley get it. you may want to take youre child to a professional that deals with childrens mental health. See i moved alot when i was younger and i saw alot of differnt doctors so ive been basically diagnosed with everything under the sun. but when i went to see an psychartrist they pin pointed my diagnosis and were able to help me with out being pill pushers if you will. I think that would be youre best bet. and not to sound rude or ignorant but if youre daughter was hearing voices she would probibly not be able to vocalize that to you. you must understand any one with a mental problem is confused them selves and dont know whats going on. I know youre her mother and it would seem like she would be able to tell you. But if a person doesnt understand what is happening they certainly cant tell a 3rd party. But honestly i would take her in and get some one that understand both diagnoses to help they will be able to help her alot more then a family doctor.
Most people with psych issues do not experience all of the symptoms that can indicate the disorder...just a substantial number of them. Bipolar 1 can include hallucinations and delusions but doesnt always.bipolar 2 does not have psychotic symptoms.
I've read that up to 80% of children eventually diagnosed with bipolar were first diagnosed with ADHD.
Good for you for trying to get her the help she needs. Proper treatment can be life changing.

ps...manic depression IS bipolar disorder. It's the former official name for the disorder.
there is a big difference between ADD and bipolar. actually its the opposite.
the medicine of ADD may cause haluasanation if she wasnt ADDer especially if the medicine is stimulants
I am BiPolar and have a BiPolar child. NO you do not have to have all of the symptoms. My son was actually dx'd as ODD first, but I just couldn't do meds, he was only 4. The symptoms kept changing and his attention span kept getting worse, so I took him to a Behaviorist who then sent me to a Psychologist because she thought he had BiPolar disorder. Yea I know what a run around!! He is much better now, and I did not keep him on meds. He started on meds at 8, but things just got worse as far as emotions and such. I took him off meds and then we just did behavioral therapy. He is now 10, and I do not regret any of my decisions. He is a happy young person now.

Good Luck
Momma P

May Angels Walk Beside You
It sounds like your kid is bi-polar. Bi polar people can be emotional one minute, angry the next, and really hyper and happy after that. ADD justs prevents people from paying attention; it has nothing to do with emotions.
Bi-Polar is a general diagnosis %26 they are many "subtitles" to it, if that makes sense. There is Bipolar1, Bipolar2, Bipolar w/schizo-affective tendencies, etc. There is also the real fun one (that I have) called "rapid recycling" (which means you can go up to manic %26 down to depressed several times in a day.)

Your child may not have all the symptoms, only a few.

Here's my opinion, take it or leave it, but coming from someone whose been dealing with this for all her life, if I were a Mom, here's what I'd do: go to knowthecause.com %26 start reading. I don't know how open you are to "alternative medicine and ideas" but I hope you will at least give it a try.

I believe ADD %26 bipolar is all nutrition re-lated (%26 fungus, as you will get from knowthecause %26 Doug Kauffman's books/shows.)

Once your child is dx'd bipolar, the dr.s will try to scare you %26 your child that she must be on meds the rest of her life. I totally disagree. Once you start on meds, you get stuck in the "med circus". Nobody will tell you about all the horrid side effects these drugs will do over time, to your mind %26 body. And they will. And the dr.s will tell you to trust them (while the pharmacuetical co.s are lining their pockets). The dr. will simply write you a Rx for another med to "counteract" the side effects of another med until you find that your child is on a whole bunch of crap %26 you won't even know who she is nor will she (they will change her personality so much).

No matter what they tell you, everything they prescribe for her will affect her personality, her growing body %26 cause some sort of permanent damage if taken long enough, as well as all being addictive in some form or another.

Another website you might want to check out is: bipolarhappens.com

All I want to get thru to you if nothing else is this: if there is any other way to treat your child w/out meds, pls try. I will help you in any way I know how, if you want email me. Just trust me, you cannot trust the psychiatrists. Not that they don't mean well but the drugs are sooo dangerous. Think of your daughter's young mind %26 growing body. You don't want to poison her.

Sorry for being so blunt but this is so serious.
No, a person doesn't have to have all of the diagnostic criteria in order to have bipolar disorder. I know many people with bipolar disorder who do not hear voices or have hallucinations.
I can see the tells of bipolar back to when I was in my teens

I am very concerned with my child inheriting this from me, so I watch -- but I am no aware that the symtoms show before the teen age years

maybe you need a second opinion
If your child is not a danger to his/herself or others you may want to consider a second and third opinion about labeling him/her. Look for counselors that specialize in learning pediatric disabilities or emotional difficulty and tend to be more holistic in their approach.

Many psychotropic drugs given to children have not been used long enough to know the long term side effects and for the ones used ten years ago they are finding undesirable long term affects. Your child is still developing so any medication given will alter his/her developing body.

If you child has symptoms such as attention deficient, have you tried to empty his/her room of everything except bed and clothes- this will help condition your child to feel sleep (not distracted) when lying down for night time. When doing homework, pick an area that is quiet and without any distracting art or toys in sight. Also plan activities at the same time each day that will use up excessive energy; I used to take my children and nephews for a daily mile walk first thing when it was my turn to baby sit. We sang songs along the way and picked different activities. Upon arrival back they got a healthy snack then were set free to play. At eight years old maybe sign your child up for a sport like soccer! (Wear them out before they could wear me out was my motto!)

As for mood swings, I used to talk quite a bit to my children and nephews. Subjects hard to broach, I would say something like “I know someone who is experiencing something like what you just had happen.” I also like to watch movies with a moral to them and discuss them afterwards.

Even if your child can be diagnosed with something, as long as he/she is productive and not a harm to anyone, I would try to avoid medications that may have long term affects. Focus on diet and what foods cause him or her to act up. Something a unsuspecting as wheat, milk products or (in my case) walnuts and eggplant can cause some strange reactions if one has an unusual allergy response to each.

Your child is still young. I would talk to as many other parents as possible (if others in the area are experiencing the same problems, maybe investigate what is in the area that may be toxic. Talk to family services and a social worker. I would exhaust all other possibilities before having my child take strong medications.

One last thought also is have his eyes checked and rule out any physical problems. If his behavior changed suddenly, also check out the school to see if something there may have cause emotional upset (new bully in town, best friend moved away. etc...)

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net