Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Borderline personality disorder?

To people who have been diagnosed with this and have sought treatment, does the dialectical behavirol therapy work? My therapist introduced it to me, but I didn't see it working for me. I have stopped taking this anti-depressant that was helping my bi-polar, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but now my anger has gone from bad to terrible. I have anger bouts everyday. I want to break everything. I don't know if it's the BPD, or Bipolar disorder that's causing this. Does anybody else experience these mood swings? When I get really angry and do something destructive, I have this electrical shock or something in my head where the lights seem to get brighter. I don't know what it is.
Answer:
You poor darling. I have a child with PDD-NOS. She is on anti-depressants/anti anxiety and a variety of other medication. If she does not take her anti-depressants/anti anxiety medication she has anger issues like you describe. Could it be due to your stopping that medication? I really think you need to reconsider. If you did not like the meds you were on, believe me there are others. For example, we switched from Paxil to Lexapro.
Don't ever stop taking medication without talking about it with your psychiatrist. It is extremely dangerous.
Good luck, I really do feel for you.
I have BPD but I have received psychoanalysis, not DBT. I have heard that it can be an effective treatment but I do not have any personal knowledge. I would talk to your therapist about the meds. I can't count the number of times mine were changed over the last nine years.

Have you done any research on DBT?

I found this for you:

DBT is a long process, leading patients through four stages of treatment. The first stage involves helping patients gain control of their lives. They attend two weekly sessions—an individual session and a group session. The individual session focuses on enhancing motivation, decreasing and managing crises, and helping the patient develop a life worth living. The group session focuses on building skills in a variety of domains, such as interpersonal skills, regulating emotions, tolerating distress, and mindfulness. The primary goal of the first stage is to reduce out of control behaviors and severe problems in living.

“This stage is about getting the person under control, to the point where he or she is living a life of quiet desperation rather than loud desperation,” says Linehan.

For any of this to happen, there must first be radical acceptance—the insistence that patients accept who they are, that they are not who they want to be, and that they are willing to change. Once there is acceptance, the therapist and patient begin skills training. DBT teaches patients how to recognize and acknowledge their powerful emotions—anger, despair—without acting on them.

“Most of the people I deal with have attempted to shut down their emotions in maladaptive ways, such as using alcohol or heroin,” explains Linehan. Through DBT, they learn to deal with their emotions without harming themselves. “It is very targeted to the exact behaviors that need to change,” says Linehan. “The skills are very unique to DBT.”

The therapist works with patients to increase their motivation to use their new skills, steering them away from destructive environments and toward environments that reinforce the new skills. DBT also emphasizes using the new behaviors in the real world. “We give lots of homework assignments to ensure that this happens,” says Linehan.

The stages that follow build on the work from the first stage. The goal is to reduce patients’ sense of desperation, then get them to the point where they experience ordinary happiness and unhappiness.

“For a lot of patients, that’s all they need,” says Linehan. “But some ask at that point, ‘What’s it all about?’ In those patients, we try to develop the feeling of freedom and a capacity for joy.”
See BPD, at the foot of page 1, at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris... and bipolar disorder and anger on pages 5, and 4. The DBT, and all other therapies take a while to work. Practise one of the relaxation methods on page 2 daily, and when needed. Learn patience. Persevere. Forgive (but don't forget) those who have wronged you, or it will hold back your progress to wellness.
I have read about the DBT it sounds like it could be good. It is not worth going off your meds. When I miss my meds I do get moody and some days angry. Talk to your dr and let him know you are not taking your meds. It took my dr 3 yrs to get a good mixture for me to take. But what i am taking now really does seem to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net