Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bipolar--question about meds adjustment?

Because of a depressive episode, my psychiatrist upped the dosage on my antidepressant earlier this week. She decided to keep my mood stabilizer at the same dose I've been taking for two years now. It's only been a few days, but I'm feeling sort of jittery and nervous. I realize that it usually takes a week or more for a change in medication to begin taking effect...so is it possible that this is because of the meds increase, or are my symptoms more likely psychosomatic? I'm asking because I don't want to call my doctor over something unnecessary.
Answer:
If you're feeling jittery, call the doctor. It's important that she know what is happening to you. It's better to make a phone call for nothing than to ignore something that could help you. It's really not a bother to the doctor. Make the call and set your mind at ease!
your doctor wont mind a call. just phone him or her. it may be important.
Nothing is unnecessary when it comes to concerns about your health. I would guess that maybe the side effects might be from the med increase. It's true what you said about meds taking a week or more to take effect, keep in mind, that's to reach full effect. You can start feeling some effects long before that, especially side effects. The thing with bipolar and antidepressants is that anti-d's can cause mania in someone who is bipolar. You know your body, so if you're concerned about it, call your doctor. He/she won't think that your concern is unneccessary.
I agree. Your doctor would expect you to call him or her about any questions regarding your reaction to meds. Another really good resource is your pharmacist. Pharmacists know a great deal about meds and the reactions you should be experiencing.
Call your doctor, it could be some side effectis. Most meds take about 3 days to get into your system and about a week to start working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net